Friday, November 2, 2012

Professionals who are unchained . . . from the desk

For years, I have had a desk job.  Had I thought about it, I would have realized that I would prefer not to be sitting down 8, 10, or 12 or more hours of the day.   It must have been that I just figured most "good" jobs were desk jobs and that, statistically, I would wind up among the sitting.

I settled into my early professional life as a desk jockey without much resistance. Then, I started noticing all the professionals who work not only with their minds but with their entire bodies. Oh, the luxury to move!

For those of you who are just starting out in your careers, are looking for a change, or who simply daydream about an occupation where your tailbone doesn't ache from the sitting, after the jump is a list of jobs to get you out from behind a desk.



  • Nurse
  • Mail carrier
  • UPS, FedEx driver
  • Flight attendant
  • Teacher
  • Military officer
  • Retail store manager
  • Dietitian
  • Pilot (although there is some sitting, and it can be for a long time, it is not all the time, and some of the most career-satisfied people I know are pilots so this job will fall on most of my lists of awesome jobs)
  • Midwife
  • Police officer
  • Interior designer
  • Painter
  • Daycare provider
  • Doctor
  • Firefighter
  • Scientist
  • Security guard
  • Chef
  • Waiter/Waitress
  • Actress
  • Musician
  • Ice cream man
  • Sailor
  • Hair stylist
  • Personal shopper
  • Tour guide
  • Engineer
  • Construction and construction management
  • Mechanic
  • Athletic coach
  • Dog walker
  • Lifeguard
  • Bartender
  • Dancers / dance instructors
  • Baker
  • Dentist
  • Personal trainer
  • Stock trader
  • Makeup artist
  • Set designer
  • Museum teacher / educator
  • Yoga instructors
  • Hospitality management professional
  • Park ranger
There are hundreds more, representing a collection of skill sets, education requirements, pay levels, and opportunities for entrepreneurship.  I firmly believe that no matter what a person's interest, she can find a profession that suits her physical as well as her professional wellbeing.  Challenging our perceptions of what a good job should look like can be the first step in creating a fulfilling life.

No comments:

Post a Comment