Friday, December 14, 2012

Being Brave Feels a Lot Like Being Scared

There are a lot of things to aspire to in this world. The words aspiration and ambition are everywhere.  Somehow, during the early years of our adult lives, we are most vulnerable to the sense that we should all be striving for something bigger, better, faster, brighter . .  more.  But what exactly is that?

Scary can be courageous.  (source)
 It’s no secret that, now more than ever, one of the keys to success is to have hustle. By now we've all discovered that we have to figure out what we want and pursue it aggressively.  But you barely have to type the words “how to choose a career” into a Google search (which turns up about 1.4 trillion results in less than half a second, by the way) to find scores of advisors who say the ticket to professional happiness is simply to discover what you’re passionate about and then do that.  

Yet the relentless pursuit of passion is about as useful as a butter knife in a sword fight if you don’t know what your passion is.  And not surprisingly, there are few employers willing to pay a living wage for someone to devote their professional energies to self-discovery – although if you know of one, please share.

So I think it's time to free ourselves from the concept of passion and embrace another concept: bravery.  
Passion is a destination, but bravery is a journey.  We can work toward it, live through it, and even fall off the wagon one day then recommit with our whole selves the next.

Bravery is not something that we are used to seeking out in the same way that we look for passion.  I don't even think most of us consider bravery in the context of our lives at all.   When I think about bravery I think about people like Navy SEAL Lt. Dan Cnossen a college classmate of my husband who battled back from unthinkable injuries after he stepped on an IED in Afghanistan in 2009, or Abby Rike who was a contestant on the Biggest Loser and whose story about reclaiming her life after losing her husband and two kids in a car accident left me in a sobbing puddle on the floor. These people are amazing. They overcome challenges most of us never have to face.  My tendency is to reserve use of the word bravery for people like that – who do things I feel I never could.

But recently I had the privilege of hearing a presentation by Dr. Brene Brown (who I now want to invite to my house for dinner and a Downton Abby marathon, although that’s another story).  Dr. Brown talked about how we have to embrace vulnerability in order to be great, because, as she says, our willingness to own and engage with our vulnerability determines the depth of our courage and the clarity of our purpose.”

What?

Did she really just tell me that the times when I feel scared, exposed, and laid bare are really my bravest moments?  That in order to actually achieve (that word again!) I need to dwell in and even seek out situations that push my comfort zone rather than spend my time hanging out in the cushy lounge next door where I feel safe?

That sounds horrible.

But the reality is that most of the people we revere as brave do this all the time.  They expose their vulnerability more often – not less – than the rest of us.  They join or start groups to share their stories, they write blogs or books or go on TV and talk about their pain and what it has done to their lives. They quit jobs they hate because they know something else is waiting for them.  They take the hard assignment that they aren't sure they can pull off.  They call off the wedding that they knew wasn't right. They sign up for a marathon even if the farthest they’d ever run was a mile during the fitness test in high school.  They move to a new city where they don’t know a soul. They choose to dress differently, to live differently, to love differently.  

All of these things expose people to the possibility that others will witness who they are and criticize them. They open themselves up to failure in exchange for the risk that they might succeed.  And they are brave precisely because they make themselves vulnerable. 

This is something I’ve been working on a lot recently.  So I’m telling myself that when I feel scared, what I’m really feeling is myself being brave.  

That is something we can all aspire to.

No comments:

Post a Comment